It’s a dream for every woman to have a beautiful and glowing skin. But in today’s world, it’s a little bit difficult to keep our skin glowing without proper care. So daily skin care routine, proper healthy diet and exercise should be made an important part of our lifestyle today.
Firstly, it’s very important to know your skin type, texture & conditions before applying any skin cream on your face. So, let’s talk about the skin types –
There are four types of Skin-
- Normal Skin
- Dry skin
- Oily Skin
- Combination Skin.
This type of skin looks even in color, has a clear texture, is smooth & supple,radiant & glowing with proper balance of oil & moisture. This type of skin also needs protection and a minimum maintenance treatment.
Having normal skin is God’s gift. Main reason behind normal skin is balanced diet, healthy lifestyle, normal blood circulation and most of the times genetics ! Normal skin doesn’t have dryness problems or excess oily skin problems.
Care and precautions for normal skin:
It is very important to maintain normal skin without damaging it. It may get dry or oily in your daily skin care routine. You need to be careful!! So while choosing
products for this type of skin, don’t do it in hurry and check product description carefully before buying. Avoid products that are made for oily skin, they will make your skin drier. Don’t use moisturizer especially for very dry skin, they will make your skin oily. So try to choose products rich in water. So, don’t select products made for oily and dry skin. This may look a futile thing at first, please remember, this actually makes difference.
You can use products which contain hyaluronic acid, amino acids, vitamin C. Hyaluronic acid supplement can help your skin look & feel more supple. It binds to water to help retain moisture, softness & elasticity. Vitamin C will help fights free radicals which damage your skin & delay in aging process of skin.
This type of skin appears pale & thin, with fine lines. It has minimum visibility of pores or no pores. Extremely dry skin may have broken capillaries & flakiness and is generally, very itchy. It feels rough in texture & looks tight. This type of skin is characterized by lack of moisture & does not produce enough oil which results in dehydration of skin.
Commonly this type of skin is associated with middle age, but it can appear at any age caused by genetics, internal or external ( sun tanning) factors. Proper treatment & care stimulates dry skin to correct oil & moisture balance.
Causes for dry skin:
There are two factors for dry skin internal & external. External factors can include cold weather, low humidity, over use of lipid solvents, over washing with harsh soaps/ cleansers, taking bath with hot water.
One of the most common causes for dry skin is over washing or frequent application of harsh soaps. Soap or a harsh cleanser has an emulsifier that removes oil from skin, ultimately resulting in dry skin.
Internal factors that cause dry skin are medications like some medicines meant for high blood pressure, diabetes and , high cholesterol. Researchers say that, dry skin can be inherited. Aging is also main factor for increase in dryness. After 40’s skin is at high risk of dryness, it produces less oil in the skin and gets drier. Also because of hormonal changes, menopause; women often face his problem.
Care and precautions for dry skin:
If you have dry skin, don’t worry!! Proper caring and daily skin care routine can make your skin smooth & supple. Here daily skin care routine means cleansing, toning and moisturizing. Now days, lots of serums for dry skin are available, you scan also try them to hydrate your skin. Once in a week exfoliation (i.e. scrubbing) is very important because it removes dead skin layer and increase the rate of skin regeneration process to improve skin tone and texture.
Try these simple and easy tips:
- Try to avoid hot showers because it washes off your natural oil from skin faster & results in dried skin.
- Do not use harsh soaps or cleansers for bathing or face cleansing, as it will again remove your natural moisture and oil from skin & could result in dry and itchy skin.
- After bathing or washing face, try to use moisturizer immediately.
- While choosing moisturizer, paying attention to some of its ingredients may prove helpful. Check for ingredients like ceramides, glycerin, hyaluronic acid, petroleum jelly etc.
- Always apply sunscreen on areas of your body or face that are exposed to sun.
- Most importantly drink plenty of water to hydrate your skin from inside.
Try to have fruits and vegetables, which are rich in water content like watermelon, melons, oranges, sweet limes etc. in your diet.
This kind of skin type appears sallow & dull or shiny and hard with uneven texture, enlarged pores having comedones (blackheads) and papules.
Due to over secretion of sebaceous glands skin produces excess sebum. It often affects during adolescence & menstrual cycle. Treatment should be taken to unblock pores through specialized cleaning routine, proper nutrients & diet.
Causes for oily skin:
Oily skin is the result of over secretion of sebaceous glands which produces too much oil. It could be tough to manage oily skin sometimes. Using wrong skin care products leads to increase in skin problems. Oil base makeup is also cause for problems in oily skin.
Sometimes genetics also plays a vital role. If one of your parents has oily skin, then you are most likely to have oily skin. Generally in adolescence when hormonal fluctuation & changes are on its peak level, our glands produce more oil & sebum.
Mainly your eating habits are cause for oily skin. Dairy products like cheese, milk, butter can trigger oil producing glands to increase secretion. Dairy products have hormones in them, so they can cause an imbalance in production of oil.
Care and Precautions for oily skin:
Oily skin can be uncomfortable but proper care and skin care regime plays an important role in maintaining beautiful skin.
Follow some simple oily skin care tips:
- You must wash your face twice a day with suitable face wash( in morning & at nights before going to bed), but avoid over cleansing, or it may remove all the natural oil and again, as oily skin has over active sebum production , it will produce more oil, and finally skin will appear even oilier than before.
- Exfoliate your skin once a week. It will be beneficial to remove dead cells from the top layer of the skin. Exfoliation helps to remove blackheads, whiteheads and impurities. You can also go, for the products containing facial acid such as salicylic acid, which is also known as beta-hydroxy acid. It is oil soluble, so great for using on oily skin.
If you have comedons (pimples) then do not scrub on that part of the face. Don’t rub scrub on your face in a random way. Use circular motions to exfoliate. Oily skin can get rashes and redness with over scrubbing.
- Always get skin care and make up products that are formulated for your skin type only, as mentioned above. Try to use lightweight moisturizer lotions ( i.e. less oil in it).
- Face masks and clay masks are good way to keep proper oil balance of skin. Clay masks have cleansing, toning, refining & stimulating effects. Use two to three times a week for better results.
- Healthy habits and nutritional diet will keep your skin hydrated. Eat fruits, vegetables which have high water content. Drink plenty of water throughout the day. Avoid eating oily food & dairy products, excess sugar and sweets. Please remember, this is a very important tip, though it looks simple.
The skin is said to be of combination, if you observe two skin types on same face. There is central oily zone (T zone i.e. forehead, nose & chin) with eye, cheeks & neck showing dry or normal. Enlarged pores may appear on certain areas of face. This is very common skin type and can be slightly dry combination or oily combination.
Causes for combination skin:
This type of skin is combination of two skin types i.e. oily and dry. Oily part on skin produces (mainly in T zone area) excess oil, and at the same time keeping other area i.e. cheeks around eyes dry
Variety of factors can contribute to combination skin but sometimes it’s only about genetics. Environment around you may cause for this type of skin. Like pollution, humidity, cold weather, hot summers etc. may create more issues in this skin type.
Again wrong selection of skin care products can harm combination skin quickly.
Hormonal changes, stressful life, pregnancy, menopause may cause of this skin type. They may create dry patches & increase activity in sebaceous glands.
Care and precaution for combination skin:
Taking care of this skin type is little difficult task but proper skin care routine & skin care products will help you to maintain this skin type.
- While washing face focus on oily part of skin (T zone). Wash off that part with suitable cleanser to clean clogged pores. Don’t rub more on dry areas as it will get more dry & rough.
- After cleansing, always apply toner which are hydrating and non-irritating. It will keep your skin nourished and healthy. Pour little amount of tonner on your palms and pat it all over your face and neck.
- Exfoliate once in week mainly on oily part, so it will help to remove dead skin, blackheads, and whiteheads.
- While choosing skin care products do not use those oily products which will make your glands more active on oily parts. Instead you should use those products which are specially formulated for combination skin type.
- Try to get balanced diet with lots of water contain fruits and vegetables, so that your skin cells receive enough oxygen and nutrients.
- If you are spending enough time outside or in sunlight try to protect your skin with minimum SPF 30 sunscreen lotion.